Friday, October 10, 2008

Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair

A scene from our production

Macbeth FINALLY opened last night.  We had a nearly full house and its always a huge feeling of relief when the lights go up at the beginning of the first show and I know that the end of stress is near.  Let me begin by reiterating that this has been the most challenging show I have EVER directed.  It was more difficult than any musical ( and musicals are a huge challenge for me).  Along with the cast, I had to go on a long journey with many bumps in the road to get to opening night.  But, we made it.  Yesterday had to be the most chaotic and stressful opening day I have experienced.  Maybe this really is the cursed play.  Once the show started though, I couldn't have been prouder of my actors.  It was like all at once, they understood what Shakespeare wanted them to do and they did a magnificent job of sharing the story with the audience. (FAIR)  The audience on opening night is typically full of teenagers that are there for extra credit, last night was no different.  While teenagers always are an enthusiastic audience sometimes their responses are not appropriate- especially last night.  It is sad to realize how de-sensitized these kids are.  In scenes that give me chills and make me want to cry(murders, fights, breakdowns, etc), these kids laugh! (FOUL) This reaction really discouraged my actors.  Tonight we will have more adults in the audience and hopefully the reactions will be more appropriate, and the audience will be more appreciative of the fact that very few teenagers can act in a play written by Shakespeare and do it well!

No comments: