Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yes, we swam in that...





On Sunday, I participated in the Danskin Women's Triathlon at Disneyland.  It was a wonderful event full of positive energy and women of all shapes and sizes.  The event began with a  swim in the lagoon at California Adventure.  The water temp was great, the water consistency left a bit to be desired!  I imagined it would be the dyed green water that is present in most of the disney rides; instead, it looked like this:
After the swim, it was on to the bike.  This is my favorite part of the triathlon.  It was so much fun whizzing through the streets of Anaheim.  It's so nice when the roads are closed for events like this.  The thought did cross my mind though, that it was probably very annoying to people who had driven all the way from, let's say, Iowa, only to find all roads leading to Disney closed from 6-10 am!  After the bike portion, came the dreaded run.  I hadn't run much at all since the appendectimy, so I was very nervous.  There's something about running through a theme park before it opens though, with music blasting, that pumped me up.  I was able to run the whole course.  Final time- 1:18:32.  After the race, we didn't care that we had swam in a swamp, we were beaming with the thrill of completing something like this.  It was great having all of us there together. 


No comments: